The 2nd Annual Temple Community Treasures Painting Contest
The Temple Main Street Program and Susan Sterle are proud to sponsor the 2nd Annual Temple Community Treasures Painting Contest. We are conducting this contest as part of Temple’s observance of National Preservation Month, May. The contest's purpose is to draw community attention to the importance of protecting our valuable community architectural assets through the preservation of historic buildings.
The rules of the contest are simple:
• Select a building in Temple that you think is historic and appealing as a painting subject. For the purposes of this contest, there is no set definition of "historic" - choose an older building somewhere in Temple.
• Create a painting or sketch of the building. Paintings created either in a studio or Plein air will be accepted, as will paintings in oil, acrylic, watercolor, pencil, pen & ink, pastel, or mixed media.
• Painting entries must not be larger than 16 x 20, and entrants must frame them and make them ready to hang with a wire hanger that the entrants will provide. Jagged hook hangers will not be accepted. All entries must be framed in a frame that is no more than 3 inches larger than the painting itself in either dimension, and any entries in the mediums of watercolor, pencil, pen & ink, and/or pastel must be framed with glass.
• Write the following on a piece of paper and affix it to the back of your painting entry:
Your name, phone number, e-mail address, name or address of the subject building (if possible), and the price for the painting -if it’s for sale.
All of this information must be clearly legible.
• Contestants may submit up to 3 entries.
• Deliver your framed painting to the Discover Downtown Temple Office in City Hall, 2 N. Main St. by 5:00 PM on Thursday, March 31, 2023.
• This contest is open to all skill levels, to all ages, and to both professionals and amateurs.
• The 1st, 2nd & 3rd place winners of this contest will receive prize ribbons and cash prizes from our sponsor Susan Sterle. The cash prizes are as follows:
1st Place - $300
2nd Place - $200
3rd Place - $100
• All winners will be honored and recognized during May, designated National Preservation Month, and contest organizers will work with local museums to have the top 20 paintings displayed as an exhibit. All entrants must agree for their paintings to be used in such public displays, but only the 20 best paintings, as determined by the contest judge, will be compiled into an exhibit that will be displayed at local museums. All contest entrants agree that their paintings may be displayed in such painting exhibits for not more than eight months – May-December. Even if a painting sells, it will not be returned to the artist until the end of the public display period unless it is not among the 20 top paintings selected for public display, in which case it will be promptly returned to its owner. Artists understand that they are participating in this contest, and these exhibit displays are at their own risk.
• For these rules and this agreement, all entries in this contest will be referred to as paintings.
• All paintings submitted will be used in public displays for a period of not more than six months – May - October, and artists should participate in this contest at their own risk. Neither the City of Temple nor any other contest sponsor will be held responsible for lost or damaged paintings or frames. When the public displays of contest entries have concluded, the paintings will be returned to the contest entrants. Contestants will be called and/or e-mailed about collecting their painting(s). If repeated attempts are made to contact the contestant, and the contestant fails to respond, the Temple Main Street Program will have the right to dispose of any such unclaimed contest entries. Also, by submitting a painting, contestants give the City of Temple permission to use that painting in promotions. Such paintings may be posted publicly on Facebook or other social media, in print material, and/or in public or private TV broadcasts.
• To enter this contest, entrants must agree to the terms outlined in these contest rules.
For more information about the exhibit or contest, please call Temple Main Street Manager Dan Kelleher at (254) 298-5378 or e-mail him at email@example.com.